Saturday, November 5, 2011
By Richardson Dhalai Saturday, November 5 2011
Nine years following the closure of Caroni Limited, the All Trinidad General Workers’ Trade Union, (ATGWTU), has called on the Ministry of Food Production to expedite the distribution of one lot of residential lands to ex-Caroni workers.
In a media statement Thursday, ATGWTU ag president general, John Jaglal, expressed concern over the delay in the land distribution saying a number of ex-employees have already paid for their residential lots.
“The Union is also concerned about the Government’s delay to begin the process of distribution of the one lot of residential purpose taking into consideration that approximately nine years have passed since the closure of Caroni (1975) Limited some of the employees have already paid in full for the said lots,” Jaglal stated.
“In the circumstances, we call on the Minister to make a public pronouncement as it relates to the distribution process of the said one lot,” he added.
Meanwhile, the union has noted that an extension has been granted by the Ministry for an extension to former Caroni employees to apply for the two-acre plots of agricultural lands which had been included in their VSEP package.
“In a letter from the Ministry, signed by the permanent secretary, Ms Edwina Leacock, this extension has been granted until December 31, 2011. The letter further stated that only approximately 25 percent of applicants have had their applications processed to completion,” the Union stated.
“In view of the above, the Union is calling on all members and other ex-employees to apply for, fulfil their requirements and complete the process to obtain their leases,” the Union concluded.