Monday, December 2, 2013
PRESS RELEASE : MASS MEETING AT RIENZI COMPLEX
All Trinidad General Workers’ Trade Union in collaboration with the Former Cane Farmers Association and the Sugar Boilers Association of Trinidad and Tobago are inviting all Ex-Caroni workers, Cane Farmers and their families to a mass meeting to be held at the Rienzi Complex on Sunday 8th December, 2013 at 2:00 pm.
The theme of the meeting shall be the continuing betrayal of the Ex-Caroni workers, Cane Farmers and their families more than ten years after the callous and brutal shutdown of the Sugar Industry.
Issues to be discussed shall be:
- The outstanding lease and land distribution of two acre agricultural plots and Residential lots to Ex-Caroni workers
- Outstanding cash compensation to be paid to Cane Farmers for economic losses
- The Breach of the Deyalsingh Judgment by previous and present Government
- The Caroni Green Initiative and the effect on small farmers of Trinidad and Tobago
- The sweetener Loan
The meeting is open to former cane farmers, Caroni (1975) Ltd employees and their families.
The main speakers include;
- Basdeo Panday on the issues of governance
- Nirvan Maharaj on the land distribution exercise and the Caroni Green Initiative
- Thomas Sotillio on the Cane Farmers Issue
- Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj on the issues facing the Cane Farmers
- Rakeeb Mohammed on the Sweetener Loan
- Mikela Panday on the youth perspective
For more information about this event, call Thomas Sotillio at 712-0025 or Nirvan Maharaj at 725-0403
All Media are invited.